Final Volume Of Oishinbo January 19th
Headline - Press release
Posted by Fletch Adams on Dec 11, 2009
VIZ Media announced today the release of the final volume of the mega hit food manga by Tetsu Kariya, OISHINBO due out on January 19th. Volume 7, Izayaya-Pub Food is rated ‘T’ for Teens and carries an estimated retail price of $12.99 US and $16.99 CAN.
Izakaya occupies the same vital space in the Japanese culinary landscape as tapas bars in Spain or tavernas in Greece. Unpretentious and frequently boisterous, they're places to meet with friends or business partners to unwind over drinks and small dishes that range from hearty standards to refined innovations. In this volume of OISHINBO, Yamaoka and Kurita investigate classic Izakaya foods such as edamame and yakitori, devise new dishes to add to the menu of an old shop, and discover how the concept of "play" is essential to the enjoyment of food.
OISHINBO creator Tetsu Kariya, writer and essayist extraordinaire graduated from prestigious Tokyo University. Kariya was employed with a major advertising agency before making his debut as a manga writer in 1974 when he teamed up with legendary manga artist Ryoichi Ikegami to create Otoko Gumi (Male Gang). The worlds of food and manga were forever changed in 1983 when Kariya, together with artist Akira Hanasaki, created the immensely popular and critically acclaimed OISHINBO.
“Fans of Japanese cuisine and culture have been delighted with every volume of the critically acclaimed OISHINBO series and we are excited to bring them this final volume that covers the excitement of izakaya,” says Evelyn Dubocq, Sr. Director of Public Relations, VIZ Media.
OISHINBO (or “The Gourmet") depicts the adventures of journalist Shiro Yamaoka, who writes for the fictional newspaper Tozai News. When the paper’s top executives decide to create “The Ultimate Menu” to celebrate the paper’s 100th anniversary, Yamaoka, known for his reputation as a foodie with culinary skills to match, is given the daunting assignment. With the help of his coworker Kurita, Yamaoka begins an epic saga to find unique and tasty dishes that will compose this ultimate bill of fare. Each volume of OISHINBO focuses on specific foods and culinary trends such as sake, sushi, vegetables, rice dishes, ramen, and Izakaya (pub food). VIZ Media has served up selected highlights from this epic 100+ volume series and compiled them into seven a la carte editions that can be enjoyed individually or as a series. OISINBO has further inspired a 136-episode anime series, a live-action film and TV dramas, video games, recipe collections, and TV shows in Japan.
For more information on OISHINBO and other VIZ Media titles please visit www.Viz.com.
- Viz Media Debuts Apocalyptic Dorohedoro Manga - written by Richard Boom on Mar 10, 2010
- Viz Media Debuts Bakuman by Death Note Creator - written by Bart Croonenborghs on Apr 16, 2010
- Multi-National Manga Anti-Piracy Coalition Formed - written by Bart Croonenborghs on Jun 10, 2010
- Viz Media Starts 2012 Manga-stic - written by Richard Boom on Jan 16, 2012
- VIZ Offers Natsume's Book of Friends - written by Fletch Adams on Jan 4, 2010
- Manwha Revolution! - written by Megan B Moore on Nov 20, 2004
- Snips, Snails, Sugar and Spice - written by Megan B Moore on Mar 14, 2006
- The Magic Girls of Manga - written by Megan B Moore on Jan 6, 2005
- Not Just a Fairy Tale - written by Megan B Moore on Apr 21, 2006
- Love Ken - written by Megan B Moore on Feb 3, 2005
- Incarnate #1 - written by Lee Newman on Aug 4, 2009
- Dogs: Bullets & Carnage Volume 1 - written by Lee Newman on Aug 5, 2009
- All My Darling Daughters - written by Lee Newman on Feb 26, 2010
- Brody's Ghost, Volume 1 - written by Steven Surman on Jul 20, 2010
- Brody's Ghost, Volume 2 - written by Steven Surman on Mar 21, 2011
In order to post a comment you have to be logged in. Don't have a profile yet? Register now!