Land of the Dead
Headline - Press release
Posted by Frederik Hautain on Jun 2, 2005
IDW Publishing today announced its agreement with Universal Studios Consumer Products Group to publish a special five-part adaptation of a comic book miniseries based on Universal Pictures’ upcoming horror film George A. Romero’s Land of the Dead, which hits theaters June 24th 2005. The Land of the Dead comic is a monthly, full color, 32-page five-issue miniseries, with issue #1 debuting in August.
The comic is set years in the future after the end of Romero’s original Dead Trilogy, where the walking dead roam an uninhabited wasteland while those still alive struggle to lead “normal” lives behind the walls of a fortified city. A new society has been established by a handful of enterprising, yet ruthless opportunists. They live high in the skyscrapers above the hardscrabble existence of those on the streets below. Outside the city walls an army of the living dead is evolving, while inside anarchy is on the rise. With the very survival of the city at stake, a group of hardened mercenaries is called into action to protect the living from the dead.
The Land of the Dead adaptation is written by Chris Ryall (Shaun of the Dead) with art by Gabriel Rodriguez (CSI: Secret Identity). The first issue will feature two variant covers–one by talented newcomer Chris Bolton and one with a special photo cover.
“Like all Romero fans, I’ve been waiting two decades to see George revisit this world,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Editor-in-Chief. “And I’m happy to have a chance to bring the movie to life on the comics page, too. Especially with Gabe Rodriguez to help make me look good. Our whole goal is to help the reader, as George himself is fond of saying, ‘stay scared!’”
- Shaun of the Dead Comes Alive - written by Frederik Hautain on Mar 23, 2005
- Wasting the Dawn Republished - written by Frederik Hautain on Apr 7, 2005
- House of Horror Opening in July - written by Frederik Hautain on Apr 25, 2007
- Prepare for IDW's War - written by Frederik Hautain on Feb 3, 2005
- IDW Reorganizes Management - written by Frederik Hautain on Oct 2, 2005
- Simmons Summons Several New Series - written by Dave Baxter on Nov 14, 2007
- Book Marx: The Walking Dead - written by Tommy Marx on Jan 6, 2006
- Dustin? Off the Boots: The Original Desperado Returns - written by James W Powell on Dec 1, 2004
- Year Ender 2004: The Publishers - Part I - written by Frederik Hautain on Jan 3, 2005
- Dead Space Debuts - written by Andy Oliver on Mar 17, 2008
- Everybody's Dead #1 - written by Dave Baxter on Mar 20, 2008
- Gene Simmons House of Horrors #2 - written by Dave Baxter on Nov 26, 2007
- 30 Days of Night: Bloodsucker Tales #4 - written by Sam Moyerman on Jan 31, 2005
- Transformers: Stormbringer #2 - written by Aaron Stueve on Aug 12, 2006
- Gene Simmons Zipper #3 - written by Dave Baxter on Feb 2, 2008
- Peril & Passion! - written by Beth Davies Stofka on Jul 1, 2007
- When Titans Slash! - written by William Gatevackes on Nov 5, 2007
- A Sick, Sick Man - written by Cullen Bunn on Aug 16, 2011
- Look Deep into Our Eyes: Behind IDW's Smoke and Mirrors with Armstrong and Costa - written by Jason Wilkins on Mar 20, 2012
In order to post a comment you have to be logged in. Don't have a profile yet? Register now!