Multi-National Manga Anti-Piracy Coalition Formed
Headline - Press release
Posted by Bart Croonenborghs on Jun 10, 2010
San Francisco, CA, June 8, 2010 – Today a coalition of Japanese and U.S. publishers announced a coordinated effort to combat a rampant and growing problem of internet piracy plaguing the manga industry. “Scanlation,” as this form of piracy has come to be known, refers to the unauthorized digital scanning and translation of manga material that is subsequently posted to the internet without the consent of copyright holders or their licensees. According to the coalition, the problem has reached a point where “scanlation aggregator” sites now host thousands of pirated titles, earning ad revenue and/or membership dues at creators’ expense while simultaneously undermining foreign licensing opportunities and unlawfully cannibalizing legitimate sales. Worse still, this pirated material is already making its way to smartphones and other wireless devices, like the iPhone and iPad, through apps that exist solely to link to and republish the content of scanlation sites.
Participants in the coalition include the 36 members of Japan’s Digital Comic Association, Square Enix, VIZ Media, TOKYOPOP, Vertical, Inc., the Tuttle-Mori Agency and Yen Press. Working together, the membership of the coalition will actively seek legal remedies to this intellectual property theft against those sites that fail to voluntarily cease their illegal appropriation of this material.
“It is unfortunate that this action has become necessary,” said a spokesperson for the group. “However, to protect the intellectual property rights of our creators and the overall health of our industry, we are left with no other alternative but to take aggressive action. It is our sincere hope that offending sites will take it upon themselves to immediately cease their activities. Where this is not the case, however, we will seek injunctive relief and statutory damages. We will also report offending sites to federal authorities, including the anti-piracy units of the Justice Department, local law enforcement agencies and FBI.”
The coalition stated that it has currently identified thirty sites targeted for action.
Participant members of the Digital Comic Association include: Akane Shinsha, Akita Shoten, ASCII Media Works, East Press, Ichijinsha, Enterbrain, Okura Shuppan, Ohzora Shuppan, Gakken, Kadokawa Shoten, Gentosha Comics, Kodansha, Jitsugyo No Nihonsha, Shueisha, Junet, Shogakukan, Shogakukan Shueisha Production, Shodensha, Shonen Gahosha, Shinshokan, Shinchosa, Take Shobo, Tatsumi Shuppan, Tokuma Shoten, Nihon Bungeisha, Hakusensha, Fujimi Shobo, Fusosha, Futabasha, France Shoin, Bunkasha, Houbunsha, Magazine House, Media Factory, Leed sha, Libre Shuppan
- Final Volume Of Oishinbo January 19th - written by Fletch Adams on Dec 11, 2009
- VIZ Offers Natsume's Book of Friends - written by Fletch Adams on Jan 4, 2010
- VIZ Releases All My Darling Daughters - written by Fletch Adams on Jan 6, 2010
- Man And Machine Fight Zombie Apocalypse - written by Fletch Adams on Jan 27, 2010
- New Viz Manga Bokurano: Ours - written by Kris Bather on Feb 4, 2010
- Ghosts for Go - written by Megan B Moore on May 26, 2005
- Reeling into Psychosis - written by Juan Navarro on Nov 15, 2007
- You Can't Beat Shojo! - written by Megan B Moore on Jun 22, 2005
- Here Be Manga!: An Inter-Review - Part 1 - written by Dave Baxter on Jul 1, 2008
- Shojo: Pretty in Pink - written by Megan B Moore on Aug 14, 2005
- Incarnate #1 - written by Lee Newman on Aug 4, 2009
- Dogs: Bullets & Carnage Volume 1 - written by Lee Newman on Aug 5, 2009
- All My Darling Daughters - written by Lee Newman on Feb 26, 2010
- Brody's Ghost, Volume 1 - written by Steven Surman on Jul 20, 2010
- Brody's Ghost, Volume 2 - written by Steven Surman on Mar 21, 2011
CA3 Jul 23, 2010 at 7:06am
Attorney's must be laughing all the way to the bank thanks to misguided legal efforts like these. I mean that seriously, because I don't think anyone has seen any attorney's on the unemployment line?
In order to post a comment you have to be logged in. Don't have a profile yet? Register now!