BF Awards 2009 - Best Ongoing Series: The Walking Dead
Lowdown - Article
Posted by Richard Boom on Dec 31, 2009
Robert Kirkman is to most the guy who made us love zombies all over again. How? By writing a story that was so not about zombies! Instead, he chose to write about survivors of the Apocalypse, living in a world so grim most would just faint by the thought of it all.
Zombies are merely the backdrop of the canvas, because The Walking Dead is all about its living, breathing characters. Kirkman took a loving father, homeless refugees, nomads, families and created a story that shows our inner good but at the same time details how deep we can fall... Since its start six years ago, the cast has changed considerably, with zombies and dark-spirited humans literally cutting them in half. But through it all, one thing has never stopped shining: deep, basic human emotion. It’s this humane aspect that makes The Walking Dead the best book on the shelf.
Kirkman isn’t the only one deserving of big props. His artistic cohorts, Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn never let up, and kept the killer pages coming during a year in which the series shipped as frequently as ever. Together, they’re the unsung heroes of the series as their deft handles of shades and grays make people forget they’re reading a black and white book.
Our band of survivors are now on their way to Washington, DC, hoping to find a permanent way out of this mess. If or when they get there, they won’t find true solace (that option was thrown out the window a long time ago), but they may find a real solution to the zombie threat. Whatever Kirkman, Adlard and Rathburn have in store, it will be good!
- Darabont Resurrects The Walking Dead at AMC - written by Fletch Adams on Aug 12, 2009
- Image Comics Previews for September 16 - written by Frederik Hautain on Sep 10, 2009
- Image United - A Pre-Release Sell Out - written by Fletch Adams on Dec 22, 2009
- Kirkman Becomes Image Partner - written by Frederik Hautain on Jul 21, 2008
- Massive Walking Dead Sellouts - written by Frederik Hautain on Apr 4, 2005
- Dead People Don't Disappoint - written by Jp Dorigo on Dec 30, 2004
- The Walking Dead - Episode 1.02 - written by joeyesposito on Nov 22, 2010
- Image Month: TFAW's Andrew McIntire on the Image Phenomenon - written by Richard Boom on Apr 27, 2012
- Celebrating The Walking Dead #100 - written by Josh West on Jul 18, 2012
- Image and the Beast - written by Bart Croonenborghs on Sep 4, 2009
- The Walking Dead #50 - written by Lee Newman on Jul 2, 2008
- The Walking Dead #85 - written by Ryan Collins on May 30, 2011
- The Walking Dead #37 - written by Kenneth Gallant on May 3, 2007
- The Walking Dead #38 - written by Kenneth Gallant on Jul 4, 2007
- The Walking Dead #26 - written by Dave Baxter on Mar 17, 2006
- Holding on to Digital - written by Tyler Chin-Tanner on Jan 7, 2010
- Devouring the Competition - written by William Gatevackes on Oct 15, 2007
- New Year?s Resolutions for 2008! - written by William Gatevackes on Dec 31, 2007
- Math Is Hard, Fraction Is Great - written by William Gatevackes on Apr 28, 2008
- Keep Running - written by William Gatevackes on Aug 25, 2008
In order to post a comment you have to be logged in. Don't have a profile yet? Register now!