BF Awards 2009 - Best Publisher: Dark Horse
Lowdown - Article
Posted by Frederik Hautain on Dec 30, 2009
Dark Horse winning the 2009 Broken Frontier Award for Best Publisher likely is proof of the fact that BF doesn’t attract a superheroes-only readership. Better odds are that more and more fans have come to dig the no strings attached and fundamentally sound publishing ethos the company continues to uphold.
Dark Horse is not the kind of company that throws anything against the wall to see what sticks. Instead, they rely on a small group of top industry talent to produce quality work over a multitude of genres, ranging from horror (Hellboy, BPRD) to adventure (Conan, Usagi Yojimbo) and offbeat superhero (Umbrella Academy). People like Mike Mignola, Guy Davis, Stan Sakai and Eric Powell have been with the company for years, and are given all the creative freedom they need to push their own boundaries and make their stories better. As a result, the aforementioned titles never read as ‘the same old, same old’, but keep on surprising time and again.
The ‘gold core’ Mike Richardson and crew have assembled has also allowed for the publisher to attract talent such as Mike Oeming (Rapture), Rick Remender (Fear Agent, Gigantic) and Gerard Way (yes, Umbrella Academy, again) to inject some new oil in the machine’s cogs at regular intervals.
I could go on stipulating other aspects of Dark Horse’s publishing approach – such as its manga line or licensed properties – but that wouldn’t do anything but fortify the verdict: Dark Horse does a little bit of everything, does it incredibly well, and most importantly, without a media mogul providing overhead.
Milwaukie, Oregon is a place where true creative freedom roams and where standalone properties are cherished. In this day and age of superhero crossovers and Hollywood-influenced decision-making, that mindset alone is worthy of an award.
- Hellboy and Umbrella Academy Now on iPhone - written by Frederik Hautain on Oct 13, 2009
- Dark Horse Solicitations - July '05 - written by Frederik Hautain on Apr 5, 2005
- Dark Horse Swings for the Bleachers - written by Fletch Adams on Jul 30, 2009
- Dark Horse Solicitations - October '05 - written by Frederik Hautain on Jul 14, 2005
- Albatross Ups Goon's Noir Side - written by Frederik Hautain on Jun 10, 2006
- BF Awards 2009 - Best Independent Artist: Gabriel Ba - written by Noel Bartocci on Dec 30, 2009
- BF Awards 2009 - Best Limited Series: The Umbrella Academy: Dallas - written by Noel Bartocci on Dec 31, 2009
- Trading Up: Umbrella Academy: Dallas - written by Ryan Burton on Oct 20, 2009
- Hell to Pay: A Look Back at Mike Mignola's Hellboy - Part 1 - written by Tonya Crawford on May 1, 2007
- Hell to Pay: A Look Back at Mike Mignola's Hellboy - Part 2 - written by Tonya Crawford on May 2, 2007
- Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #2 - written by Tonya Crawford on Jan 10, 2009
- Hellboy in Mexico or, A Drunken Blur - written by Jonathan Chuang on May 6, 2010
- Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels #1 - written by Steve Kanaras on Jul 6, 2009
- Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels #2 - written by Lee Newman on Aug 7, 2009
- Hellboy: The Crooked Man #1 - written by Steve Kanaras on Jul 6, 2008
- For a Limited Time Only! Scud Returns! - written by William Gatevackes on Feb 4, 2008
- Skaar Smash!! - written by William Gatevackes on Jun 9, 2008
- An Uncanny Milestone - written by William Gatevackes on Jul 21, 2008
- From Green to Red - written by William Gatevackes on Oct 27, 2008
- Another Look at the Marvels - written by William Gatevackes on Dec 1, 2008
In order to post a comment you have to be logged in. Don't have a profile yet? Register now!