BF Awards 2012 - Best Limited Series: HAPPY!
Lowdown - Article
Posted by Bart Croonenborghs on Feb 14, 2013
Grant Morrison goes uber-violent together with Darick Robertson in his first creator-owned comic.
HAPPY HAPPY BLAM BLAM!
Haven of creator-owned comics, Image Comics caught themselves a big fish in 2012: superstar writer Grant Morrison who published his first creator-owned comic HAPPY! right there. Morrison has always dabbled in the more mystical regions of superhero symbolism, his fetishes for magic, semantics and metaphors transmuting his stories into modern parables. In a surprising move for one of the guiding forces behind DC’s Batman comics, HAPPY! is an orgasmastic splattering of violence the likes of which no other Morrison comic has ever seen.
Anti-hero Nick Sax has been fired from the police force, turned on by his own employees in his murder-for-hire business (well, what would you expect?), is constantly drunk, and is waging a hopeless battle against the agonies of eczema. Sax seems beyond redemption, but saviors often take strange forms, and, in his case, it's the form of a tiny blue, feathered pony named Happy.
The coupling with artist Darick Robertson was another surprise. His art style focuses on the inherent twistedness in humanity’s inner selves and brings it to terms with the physicality of this characters. His stints on the infamous The Boys with Garth Ennis and Transmetropolitan with Warren Ellis are not exactly known for their squeaky clean visuals and general positive outlook on life.
But Morrison’s gamble and new found inspiration seems to have paid off and there it is, HAPPY! is the winner of the Best Limited Series of the BF Awards 2012. Since Morrison has stated before that working on creator-owned comics and creating stories from out of the ether is a very inspiring and exciting process, let’s hope he keeps it up in the new year and a lot of comic fans will be very … happy! BLAM!
- Grant Morrison Signs At Forbidden Planet - written by VashNL on May 13, 2011
- DC Reveals New Superman Line Debuting in September - written by Frederik Hautain on Jun 10, 2011
- Star of HACK/SLASH Presented At Halo-8's SDCC Panel - written by Richard Boom on Jul 16, 2011
- Superman, The New Man of Tomorrow - written by Richard Boom on Jul 18, 2011
- Judge Dredd Vs. God In New Crusade Series - written by VashNL on Jan 5, 2012
- Morrison & Millar Assign Judge Dredd to a Crusade - written by Bart Croonenborghs on Feb 9, 2012
- This Week's Must-Have Comics: April 4, 2012 - written by JasonClyma on Apr 2, 2012
- As "Happy!" As Can Be: Darick Robertson Talks Comics, Censorship, and Cuddly Cartoon Unicorns - written by Jason Wilkins on Dec 24, 2012
- Trading Up: Seaguy and Retail Therapy Compensation - written by Bart Croonenborghs on May 25, 2009
- Regaining Authority: Giffen and Robertson Uncover The Authority's Lost Year - written by Matt Adler on Dec 14, 2009
- Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #2 - written by Nathan Wilson on May 27, 2010
- Action Comics #4 - written by Joshua Yehl on Dec 9, 2011
- Batman #700 - written by Nathan Wilson on Jun 10, 2010
- Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes! #1 - written by Chad Bonin on Dec 28, 2011
- Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #3 - written by Nathan Wilson on Jun 24, 2010
- A Dynamic Duo On the Dynamic Duo - written by William Gatevackes on Jun 2, 2009
- Où Sont Les Cons D'Antan? - written by willow on Feb 1, 2010
- Batman Incorporated: Bruce Wayne Takes on the World (Again) - written by Jason Wilkins on May 28, 2012
- If You're Happy! and You Know It: Grant Morrison's Return to Creator-Owned Comics - written by Jason Wilkins on Sep 26, 2012
In order to post a comment you have to be logged in. Don't have a profile yet? Register now!