- Words: Robert Kirkman
- Art: Ryan Ottley & Greg Capullo
- Inks: Todd McFarlane
- Publisher: Image Comics
- Price: $2.99
- Release Date: Oct 7, 2009
Posted by Richard Boom on Oct 1, 2009
During a Q&A at the 2006 San Diego Comicon, writer of the zombie/drama series The Walking Dead -Robert Kirkman- called out to comic book legend Todd McFarlane, in regards to new work from Todd. History was written when both artists then and there decided to team up on a project.
It took a year to have a project planned out and another year for the chores to be planned. Life happened and another year later the art chores have been divided and the comic will indeed see the light of day.
Robert Kirkman will be writing, with Todd doing covers and digital inks on Ryan Ottley's pencils over Greg Capullo's layouts...and of course to be published via Image Comics!
A lot of people have said a lot of things about the three years it took to create this property. I do not care for that.
There is but ONE defining question, that needs a positive answer; "Was it worth the wait?". And the answer is a whole hearted YESSIR!!
On to the comic itself...
Daniel Kilgore and Kurt Kilgore are brothers. One a priest and another a black ops-kinda guy. Kurt comes to confession at his brother's church and the resentment of Dan to Kurt's lifestyle is painfully obvious. But then Kurt is killed and the bitter Daniel is followed by Kurt's spirit or imagined persona. Dan thinks the latter is happening, but when the ghost of brother's past saves him from a bullet and merges with him, a new creature arose...
This is truly an introductory issue. A true collector item's #1 if there ever was one, at least in this Modern Age of course. All of the characters, their feelings and their lives are very well introduced by master-writer Kirkman but were it not for the amazing visual team it might not have been such an impact!
Sequentially the art tells the story with ease, with the use of panels, placing of panels and borders and with the correct use of dynamics, dark, light and holding on to the real climax till the last sequence.
I remember the highlights of Spawn and the feeling I got when first reading Capullo's CREECH....I remember the excitement I got when discovering The Walking Dead and understanding the human drama underlying the zombified future...I remember the way my gut wrenched and my mind reveled when taking all these visuals in.
This is like that...
And this time I remember forgetting about the creators, the artists, the colorist and the letterer and just plainly loving this story that in pure escapism takes me in one hundred percent.
Need I say more?
Well...one more thing: BUY THIS ONE!
- Limited Edition Comix Produces Exclusive Haunt #1 Variant - written by Frederik Hautain on Sep 22, 2009
- Haunt #1 Spooks to Instant Sell-Out - written by Frederik Hautain on Oct 8, 2009
- McFarlane & Kirkman Haunt Stores This Week - written by Fletch Adams on Oct 6, 2009
- Jim Lee Covers IMAGE UNITED #1 - written by Richard Boom on Nov 5, 2009
- Image Previews for November 25 - written by Frederik Hautain on Nov 22, 2009
- Haunted by Comics: Todd McFarlane on Haunt - written by Sam Moyerman on Sep 1, 2009
- BF Awards 2009 - Best Ongoing Series: The Walking Dead - written by Richard Boom on Dec 31, 2009
- Haunted by Comics: Todd McFarlane on Spawn - written by Sam Moyerman on Sep 2, 2009
- Haunted by Comics: Todd McFarlane on Miracleman - written by Sam Moyerman on Sep 7, 2009
- Book Marx: Invincible - Perfect Strangers - written by Tommy Marx on Mar 14, 2005
- Invincible #50 - written by Lee Newman on Jun 15, 2008
- The Walking Dead #50 - written by Lee Newman on Jul 2, 2008
- Invincible #51 - written by Steve Kanaras on Jul 27, 2008
- Invincible #60 - written by Lee Newman on Mar 25, 2009
- Haunt #10 - written by Jason Wilkins on Oct 20, 2010
- The Future of Haunt - written by Todd McFarlane on Feb 11, 2010
- McFarlane's Mark: The Future of Comics - The Medium - written by Todd McFarlane on Jun 3, 2010
- Spawning a Legend - written by Todd McFarlane on Feb 19, 2010
- Holding on to Digital - written by Tyler Chin-Tanner on Jan 7, 2010
- Twitching for a Return - written by Todd McFarlane on Feb 26, 2010